Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Why EVERY Teacher Should be Utilizing Google Docs in the Classroom

google doc pic.PNG



Google Docs is a wonderful tool to use in the classroom.  As an ELAR middle school teacher I use this frequently in the class, particularly in collaborative writing assignments.  Multiple students can work simultaneously on a document on separate computers.  It is a fabulous tool to help build the skills of struggling writers by placing them in groups with stronger writers.



Additionally, the ability to work collaboratively on assignments applies to not only only Google Docs, but also Google Slides, Google Sheets, and Google Forms.  



This very week the students were assigned an assignment on Google Slides where they were to work collaboratively to build a presentation on an historical event or hero.  You may be thinking, “Hey, isn’t that History?”  But  ELAR is one of those subjects that can link all the subjects together!  With STAAR testing coming up, my team and I found the perfect opportunity to help simultaneously build strengths in reading comprehension, writing and history.  



While Google Docs is extremely useful in the class, it is extremely easy to use also.  Earlier this year my students worked collaboratively to create a Holocaust timeline.  They conducted research, and wrote a report with visuals based upon their research.  When they were finished they shared the document with a peer for peer editing, revised, and then sent it to me.  After checking over the report, I printed the assignment, and the students placed it on the timeline in the correct location out in the hallway for the other students to see and learn from.  



The  possibilities are numerous.  The biggest benefit, undoubtedly is collaborative aspect.  Students need collaboration, and this is a great tool to help them build multiple skills, including their collaborative skills.  



Every teacher should be utilizing Google Docs in the classroom.  The only setback, however, in the inability of many students to type.  That said, give plenty of time to conduct the research and type the reports.  The benefit also, is that students are able to access their documents at home, so they can always work on unfinished assignments at home.  Personally, I discourage homework, particularly computer-based assignments, in schools where the population of students is comprised of lower socioeconomic level students and ELLs (English Language Learners), the choice is ultimately yours.  Perhaps in another post I can share my rationale as to why homework is not helpful for the population above.




To Read the "Historical Events & Heroes" assignment, follow the link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yOh4UTs8ASKy0FKkRazqZqlMUtIyVYnTSLAKTX-hkAg/edit?usp=sharing

2 comments:

  1. I love this article, I totally agree! We use google docs all the time on our campus. I feel like if I can figure it out, anyone can. Even my students who are new to the country and just learning English are able to use google docs for presentations and to access shared documents. This is really great for us when I need to give them lots of links for internet research. Anyway, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this article, I totally agree! We use google docs all the time on our campus. I feel like if I can figure it out, anyone can. Even my students who are new to the country and just learning English are able to use google docs for presentations and to access shared documents. This is really great for us when I need to give them lots of links for internet research. Anyway, great job!

    ReplyDelete